Personal finance means an application regarding finance’s principles to decisions relating to money of a person or unit of family. It shows paths according to which families or individual obtain, save, spend or budget resources of money over longer period, considering various risks of finance as well as future events of life. Personal finance includes payment done for purchasing insurance (property or health insurance) or buying any asset, or on education etc. Personal-finance’s components may include savings-account and checking, credit-cards as well as consumer debts, making investment in stock-market, plans for retirement, and benefits from social-security, policies of insurance and management of income-tax.
The key factor of the personal-finance includes financial-planning. Financial-planning is considered an active process which requires continuous monitoring as well as re-evaluation. Generally planning for finance involves five basic steps, which are mentioned in detail below:
- Assessment – Financial condition of a person cab easily be calculated through compiling uncomplicated editions of the financial-balance-sheet as well as statements of income. Balance-sheet of a person shows value of the personal-assets (like for example car, clothes, house, accounts in bank or stocks) as well as personal-liabilities (like for example bank debt, credit-card loan, mortgage etc.) a statement of income of an individual lists all personal expenses and income.
- Setting of goals – There are 2 examples for which goals can be set i.e. (a) retiring at the age of 65 having personal income of say $1,000,000 (b) buying house or a property in three years by paying monthly cost for mortgage-service which does not extend to 25 percent of total gross-income. It is very common to set in mind many goals, including mixture of both short period as well as long period goals. Setting goals according to finance available helps in directing financial-planning.
- Creating plan – A plan for finance shows the path that how a set goal be accomplished. It might include say for eg reduction of unnecessary and unwanted expenses, finding different source for increasing the income through employment or investing some money in the stock-market as shares or debentures.
- Execution – For executing personal-financial-plan of an individual perseverance as well as discipline is required often. Many can contact professionals for obtaining or getting assistance. The professionals can be accountants, investment-adviser, lawyer or a financial-planner.
- Reassessment and monitoring – With the passage of time personal plan for finance of an individual should be supervised for making possible reassessments or adjustments.